Subject: st driver (was Re: restore doesn't report filesystems on null hostname)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/2000 17:39:41
>> [dump and restore vs empty hostnames]

> Even if I *do* have a table of contents, it's kind of painful due to
> the st driver not working properly (it counts the EOF mark as a
> separate file, but that's another can of worms).

Are you sure this is a bug in the driver?  Often - I see this with tar,
for example - the program reading from the tape reads the last record
of the tape file and exits, not even attempting to read further.  Then,
of course, a following open and read hits the tape mark immediately,
beacuse it wasn't read and thus wasn't consumed before.

I don't know dump format well enough to know how plausible this is in
that case.  But if this is what's happening, it's not a driver bug.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca