Subject: Re: login.conf integration?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/2000 13:11:44
In message <200001231739.MAA09627@Twig.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>, der Mouse write
s:
>Protecting the admin from hirself is a dubious idea *at best*.  *This*
>is just ridiculous.  You might as well warn if /bin contains anything
>other than what the OS ships with!  Remember, "UNIX does not stop you
>from doing stupid things because that would also stop you from doing
>clever things".

In general, I agree, but I will say, it's been a godsend to support, because
we get a *LOT* of people screwed up by this.

>> The path is set by 'login.conf', and normally, you migrate to root's
>> class (root is class daemon) when you su.

>That's just *so* compatability-friendly.

Well, consider the alternatives.  How does someone who doesn't *want* csh
get a reasonable path for root?  Using root's login class to determine the
path makes sense.

>MHO, there is no excuse for making it behave differently for root than
>for anyone else.  If I wanted some handholding piece of software
>thinking it knew better than I how my system should - or shouldn't - be
>configured, I'd be running Windows.

Agreed.  I would prefer to have su default to giving people the qualities
of their login class.

-s