Subject: Re: login.conf integration?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/2000 12:39:14
> In BSD/OS, there's a couple of security features.  'csh' will
> *ALWAYS* print a warning if either .cshrc or .login tries to change
> root's path.

Sheesh!  That is well past the line, from reasonable into obnoxious, in
my opinion; I would disable such a warning if it were present on any
system I used regularly.

Protecting the admin from hirself is a dubious idea *at best*.  *This*
is just ridiculous.  You might as well warn if /bin contains anything
other than what the OS ships with!  Remember, "UNIX does not stop you
from doing stupid things because that would also stop you from doing
clever things".

> The path is set by 'login.conf', and normally, you migrate to root's
> class (root is class daemon) when you su.

That's just *so* compatability-friendly.

>> Not sure what TRT is, fix the behaviour or the documentation?
> MHO, the behavior is sufficiently useful that the documentation
> should reflect it -

MHO, there is no excuse for making it behave differently for root than
for anyone else.  If I wanted some handholding piece of software
thinking it knew better than I how my system should - or shouldn't - be
configured, I'd be running Windows.

As for root's shell and path, well, I personally don't care much.
Here's an excerpt from /root/.cshrc on one of my machines.  I trust
it's self-explanatory. :-)

if ( "$USER" == "mouse" ) then
	if ( $?mcsh || ! $?prompt ) then
		source ~mouse/.cshrc