Subject: Re: AIC7890 support? (please?)
To: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2000 00:25:00
On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 03:45:56PM -0600, Paul B Dokas wrote:

> I know that it's not currently supported in -current (or any release so
> far for that matter), but I've just acquired a Dell PowerEdge 2400 with
> 2 36 GB disks attached to an AIC7890 controller.  Needless to say, I'd
> *really* like to use this machine with NetBSD.
>
> Is anyone working on this?  I'll gladly help get the code working/into
> shape for -current.  And, if it's not being worked on, is there a reason
> other than "nobody has picked it up yet"?

Well, first, we were looking for docs, but Adaptec turned out to be
a /dev/null when it came to that. The occasional email came back,
but nothing that we could use. Then, Justin Gibbs was kind enough
to change the license on his driver in FreeBSD, which we had some
problems with. So now, it's just a matter of porting the FreeBSD
driver. The people who were going to do this (Wolfgang and me)
haven't had much time to do it, although it's not a particularly
difficult task. I mean to do it before the end of next month,
which is likely to be when the 1.5 branch happens.

- Frank