Subject: Re: 11Mbps WaveLAN support?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/2000 23:23:19
On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 12:02:07PM -0500, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> Martin Husemann writes:
> >
> Not supported: (that I can tell)
> 	BayStack 660 2Mbps
>
> I'm not sure about:
> 	Xircom NetWave Airsurfer ('cnw' driver)
Xircom CreditCard Netwave works just fine. I'm using it with the cnw
driver at 1Mbs. However, I understand these cards are not produced anymore.
The newer Xircom NetWave Airsurfer are recognized by NetBSD as
Baystack 650 cards (awi driver). They seem to be exactly the same
and therefor supported by NetBSD, although I haven't done a full test
(i have access to only one card and no Access Points) it seems to
work just fine on NetBSD.

> >  - Do you need some license to use this? [This may vary
> >    with your location]
>
> In the US you do not.  You would if you added amplification I believe, though
> you might not be able to do that at all.  The US channels fall under a "ISM"
> (Industrial, Scientific, Medical) range of frequencies that are license free.
Same in Europe, only details differ. There's a restriction on the
number of Watts you're allowed to throw out, which is a bit lower in
Europe than in the US I believe (0.2 Watt in Europe and 0.35 in US?).
There are also restrictions on the range of your signals. This only
applies to outdoors use when you use antenna's to focus your signal beam
for point to point links and so. This is basically to guarantee
re-usability of the frequencies by others.

Feico.