Subject: Re: packages @ install, was Bringing CVS Into the Tree
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/2000 22:35:14
On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 09:08:50AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> > > What's missing? Code to keep /mnt out of the recorded paths?
> >
> > Everything:
> >  - local & remote (ftp) pkg browsers
> >  - pkg_add that can be called from the boot floppy (shared libs!)
> >  - i haven't even thought about the /mnt issue yet
>
> Actually only the first is a problem, if we go with the using the
> just-installed pkg tools. With a little chroot action, problems 2 and 3 go
> away. :-)

Couldn't we in the meantime as a temporary dirty hack, create one or
two tarballs in addition to the base, comp etc. with some basic
packages like cvs and ssh? That would require only very minor
modification to sysinst, as it is just another tarball that can
optionally be installed. If we cannot agree on what should be in there
on short notice, it might still be useful to add the option to sysinst
to install a tarball called option.tgz or so. That would be very
useful for people  installing NetBSD on many machines from a local
ftp server, as they can stuff option.tgz (or local.tgz) with whatever
they want to install by default on their machines. Or maybe better,
let it install all tarballs it can find in binary/sets/packages/?

Also, I don't really understand (should be easy to add, right?) why
sysinst doesn't give you the option to install source tarballs and
the latest pkgsrc tarball? Well, just a thought...

Feico.