Subject: Re: Bringing CVS Into the Tree
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/2000 10:08:46
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Curt Sampson wrote:

> Since anonymous CVS is now an official method for getting and
> updating copies of both the NetBSD source tree and the NetBSD pkgsrc
> tree, I'm proposing that it would be a good idea to bring CVS into
> the main tree, rather than having it just a package. If people are
> worried about `bloat,' I'm happy to consider proposals for removing
> other, less-used tools, such as RCS, or perhaps sup.

	I would personally be very irritated if I found RCS missing
	from a NetBSD system. I also understand sup is faster than
	anoncvs if you do not need to keep local changes.

	On the other hand I would nt mind uucp moving into a package,
	but I'm sure that would in turn annoy someone else.

> I've been considering this for a while now, because CVS and ssh
> are the two things I *always* find myself building whenever I
> install a NetBSD system for any purpose. (I'm hoping that at some
> point we can bring in OpenSSH as well, to save the bother of
> downloading and compiling that with every install.)

	I'd be very happy to find cvs included in the base system.

		David/absolute