Subject: Re: RFC: Simple screen editor for NetBSD
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/2000 17:05:31
According to Laine Stump:

>Okay okay, point taken. So let's just say that emacs is "less modal" than
>vi, since entering text and moving the cursor are the same mode.

Heh - we deployed emacs as the editor of choice for our "shop floor"
people when they were using elm for their mailer for exactly this
reason.  I could just imagine the help-desk calls and confusion trying
to explain when you are in or out of insert mode (yeah, I know you can
tell vi to tell you when you are but who reads the bottom of the
screen anyway? ;-)  The only thing we had to explain with emacs was
how to get out of the damn thing ;-)

<shameless plug>
Actually, if someone is interested in writing a simple editor then
there has been a nice library called libmenu committed to -current
recently that will do all the menuing stuff for you nicely.  This
includes searching through menu items matching typed characters,
scrolling option lists - all sorts of things.

Oh, that and the updated curses library does know how to assemble
function/arrow key escape sequences for you.

The combination of these features should cover a lot of what needs to
be done to implement a very basic editor.
</shameless plug>