Subject: Re: RFC simple screen editor for NetBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2000 15:06:27
> One of the chief [goals of NetBSD] is Doing It Right.  I'm not sure
> that a stripped down editor is doing anything right.  What if the
> hypothetical naive user/admin needs to use a serial console which
> doesn't happen to support VT100?

Well, X3.64; I think X3.64 support is more widespread, and sufficient
for this use, than assuming VT-100 compatability.  (Note also that most
things that claim VT-100 compatability really mean X3.41/X3.64, and
even at that many/most of them get it wrong one way or another.)

As for this possibility, yes, it can happen.  Non-X3.64 terminals are
not uncommon.  But they're a lot less common among people novice enough
to need this hyper-simplified editor!  Most of these novices, I would
venture to guess, will be using Intel hardware with peecee keyboards
and video cards for display.  But of course it might actually be
possible to squeeze termcap capability into a tiny editor.

> Wait, did I mention ed?

> Yes.  ed.  It's not glitzy.  It feels a little primitive, BUT: It's
> quite simple to learn how to use;

Only if you already know regexps.  Otherwise the s command will act in
various surprising ways when you happen to unwittingly use a regexp
character in it.  Perhaps ed needs a way to disable regexps.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca