Subject: Re: RFC: Simple screen editor for NetBSD
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2000 00:45:25
On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 04:39:49PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> A "simple editor" -- which means, AFAICT, an editor with a user
> interface tuned for f-ckwits -- is a SUBSTANTIAL ANNOYANCE to the
> experienced Unix user, AFAICT.  It certainly is to me, and as far as
> I can tell it is to plenty of others as well, to hear people groan
> when confronted with 'ee' on a FreeBSD system.  I'm *not* an idiot.
> I do *not* want a machine, when in its default state, to present
> me with 'ee' when I type 'vipw'.

I believe it would be very simple to add one more option in sysinst
to ask the user to select the default editor for root.

> Appealing to naive users is great.  But please, let's not forget
> that most such users will just use Windoze or Linux anyway, and
> that most of our _existing_ userbase is quite Unix-savvy and
> has no need for this particular crutch.

"NetBSD needs no new users, NetBSD must remain as it is and die a
peaceful death", huh?

Who needs a C compiler, a REAL unix person toggles all the binaries
in using a few handy switches..

Funny how religious these discussions _always_ get..

  -jm