Subject: Re: RFC: Simple screen editor for NetBSD
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Jonathan O'Brien <obrien@hulk.sfsu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/2000 15:25:05
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Jukka Marin wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 04:39:49PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > A "simple editor" -- which means, AFAICT, an editor with a user
> > interface tuned for f-ckwits -- is a SUBSTANTIAL ANNOYANCE to the
> > experienced Unix user, AFAICT.  It certainly is to me, and as far as
> > I can tell it is to plenty of others as well, to hear people groan
> > when confronted with 'ee' on a FreeBSD system.  I'm *not* an idiot.
> > I do *not* want a machine, when in its default state, to present
> > me with 'ee' when I type 'vipw'.
>
> I believe it would be very simple to add one more option in sysinst
> to ask the user to select the default editor for root.

Or have sysinst give the option of performing a novice or expert install.
Then you could tailor the novice install to ask less questions, offer more
help, and configure ee as the default editor with only the hassle of one
more sysinst screen. Experts don't need/use sysinst anyway, right? :)

jonathan