Subject: Re: RAIDFRAME questions
To: Dave Barr <barr@visi.com>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/2000 15:49:40
Dave Barr writes:
> Markus Kilbinger wrote:
> > Another question: With the mounted /dev/raid0d 'raidctl -s raid0' just
> > says:
> >
> >   raidctl: unable to open device file: /dev/raid0d
> >
> > -> Are all these control and reconstruct raidctl commands only
> > available for unmounted raid devices??
>
> It appears so.  I once edited /etc/rc like this:
>
> # Configure raid devices.
> for dev in 0 1 2 3; do
>         if [ -f /etc/raid$dev.conf ]; then
>                 raidctl -c /etc/raid$dev.conf raid$dev
> 		raidctl -P /etc/raid$dev.conf raid$dev
>         fi
> done
>
> Except that the parity reconstruct, at least on my 4x1GB on an SS5,
> took something on the order of an hour to complete.
>
> It seems there should be a way for the parity checking to be
> done in the background.

In -current as of today, you can do that by simply running raidctl in the
background (as someone else suggested).  I've got changes waiting to go in
(perhaps tonight) that will have the check done in the background by
default... (there are some new raidctl options and what-not too...)
In any case, it's all coming *very* soon to a -current machine near you :)

Later...

Greg Oster