Subject: Re: gifconfig problems
To: IWAMOTO Toshihiro <toshii@alles.or.jp>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/1999 01:41:38
>> Can someone tell me why this command:
>>    gifconfig gif0 inet 198.145.117.53 206.123.31.102
>> produces this output:
>>    gifconfig: ioctl (SIOCSIFPHYADDR): no such interface
>> when I try to hook up to the 6bone?  netstat -i produces the following
>> lines (among others) so I think the interface really exists.
>Do you have an ethernet NIC on that machine?
>With no MAC address, I could not use gif tunnel device.
>As my last try was about 2 months ago, the situation may have been
>changed. But I got the same error, IIRC.

	If you are using recent sys/netinet6/in6_ifattach.c, you should have
	no problem with that.  When no MAC address is available in the system
	the kernel will generate IPv6 interface identifier from
		MD5(hostname)
	as a last resort.  you will get kernel printf() like this when you do
	gifconfig (visible via dmesg):

>wsdisplay0: screen 4 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
>gif0: no ifid available for IPv6 link-local address
>gif0: using random value as EUI64: 52:5f:69:60:ca:36:a6:da
>sm1 at pcmcia1 function 0 port 0x330-0x33f: Megahertz X-JACK Ethernet

	Jon, what kind of kernel printf did you get when you did gifconfig?

itojun