Subject: Re: No general questions list?
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@isc.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/1999 12:57:39
On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 11:36:52AM -0500, Ted Lemon wrote:

> There ought to be a package for this.   I'd like something like this
> too - basically, what I want is a device that I can plug into a POTS
> line and have it notice that the phone is ringing, pick it up, play a
> message, and listen for input, including DTMF.   I suspect that this
> can be done with a Winmodem, but of course that would require us to
> have documentation, which is something we're not likely to get.   :'(

It can also be done using vgetty, and a voice capable modem. (I always
buy external when possible - LEDs, resettable, transportable,
bus-independant, and _can't turn out to be a winmodem_.)

Only modems supporting the at+v command set are usable. I'm waiting
on a backorder of one of the newer ZyXel models. I'll pkg-ize whatever
I end up putting together.

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods