Subject: Using a wheel mouse with X
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/24/1999 17:26:02
Folks,
        I lashed out and updated my mouse technology to the late 20th
century.  My machine now sports a very nice logitech cordless wheel
mouse.  I am able the use the mouse fine using the opms kernel config
option (yes, it is a ps/2 style mouse).  In X this makes the mouse
work as a 3 button mouse which is fine BUT I want more!  I want the
wheel to work too!  I read the README.mouse in the X11R6 and it said
they were supported with some provisos so I config'ed up a kernel with
wscons and rebooted.  The mouse was found as a pmsi (IIRC).  I
attempted to start up X after saying I had a PS/2 mouse in the
XF86Config but the cursor skips all over the place indicating I have
used the wrong protocol.  I tried all the protocol options with no
success.  The one that sounds correct is the xxxPS/2 protocol but X
says that my OS does not support that protocol.  I tried grabbing a
-current copy of the xc from mirror.aarnet.edu.au (dated about Dec 14)
but I still get the same message.  Are there any patches to make this
work or do I start hacking?