Subject: -current on sony 505ve
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1999 17:12:05
Now that cardbus is working extremely well for me on the Sony 505tx, I
decided to venture off and install -current on Alison's Sony 505ve for
her.

Initially the 505ve looked like it was basically a mildly updated
version of the 505tx with a celeron instead of pentium, and a
USB-based floppy instead of the conventional isa/fdc connected one.

The first thing that I realized was that even though netbsd has
support for what looked like a full compliment of USB peripherals,
there is no floppy over USB support.  One can boot INSTALL_TINY and it
goes through its motions just fine up to the point where one tries to
install a kernel.  Since fd0a doesn't exist as far as netbsd is
concerned one can't use the floppy from netbsd.  I figured no big
deal, I'll grab it over the net.  Well INSTALL_TINY doesn't actually
have support for pcic0/ep0.  Hmm.  Ok lets make a rescue-disk with a
full-blown (almost GENERIC) kernel and bootstrap.  Well, surprisingly
the bootstrap loads, sucks the kernel into memory, it starts running
for under 100ms and blam, back to the bios bootup screen.  I've never
seen netbsd crash before printing out at least the version part of the
banner.  So much for a quick hack.

I've cut out just enough of GENERIC to let the kernel fit onto a 1.44M
floppy.  I've got DDB compiled in, but the crash nukes me back to the
bios.  Anyone have any hints?

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>