Subject: Re: 11/17/99 make build error
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1999 00:34:29
A while ago Simon Burge wrote:

> Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>
> > strfile is a "tool" intended to run on the build host; use of
> > ${DESTDIR} is not appropriate for it.
> >
> > strfile should be rewritten in portable ANSI C so it can be used in
> > cross-builds on non-NetBSD systems.
>
> This (and initdeck from monop) have been on my "list of things to do".
> As well as the endianness issue, there's also an assumption that "off_t"
> is 64 bits.  I think what is needed is an "write_le_off_t()" function or
> some-such...  I'll look at it again today.

Well, I wrote that on the 18th, and it's the 18th again :)

I've got a version of strfile going that doesn't include <sys/endian.h>
and it's output is identical to the current version in the tree.
However, neither a Solaris or Ultrix system can build strfile because of
other NetBSD dependancies - at least <sys/cdefs.h>, <err.h> and sized
integer type names.  Should I remove _all_ NetBSD dependancies?

Simon.