Subject: RE: Random Review
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1999 11:39:11
>     Booting
> 	Thanks to the information provided me on IRC, I was able to
> 	set up my machine to boot BSD from my (work-required) NT boot
> 	menu.  I can't do this with Linux -- I have to use a boot floopy.

Untrue.  You can get NT to boot linux via its boot manager by:

1) writing the lilo boot block to the partition (not the MBR), then
2) use dd to read the first 512 bytes (the boot block) of the partition
   to a file.
3) copy this file onto your NT filesystem and
4) edit the boot.ini file to refer to the above file for booting linux.

It is a pain in the ass, but it does work.  Unfortunately if you rewrite
lilo to the partition you have to recreate the file for NT.   Read the
Linux HowTo at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

Michael Hogsett

| Michael Hogsett              (650)859-2848              hogsett@csl.sri.com |
| SRI  International     Computer Science Laboratory     Menlo Park, CA 94025 |