Subject: Re: Frame Maker & our portmap
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1999 14:13:38
feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de said:
> I'll try to find some sources for the Linux portmap and diff 'em
> against ours, but wouldn't mind any help there.

Afaik (I've seen software breaking on Linux which used
to work before) newer Suse portmappers require SET/UNSET
requests to come from privileged ports. This is complete
nonsense because it only makes life hard and doesn't
provide any security.
This can't be the direct reason for Linux applications
failing on NetBSD, but I suspect these clients don't
use the loopback address to contact the portmapper, what
our portmap enforces.
You could try the "-i" ("insecure") flag to our portmapper.

best regards
Matthias