Subject: Re: vaio and cardbus
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/1999 10:01:57
On 16 Dec 1999 07:28:56 -0800
 Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com> wrote:

 > Encouraged by the recent postings of cardbus success, I finally took
 > the plunge and got myself a Linksys Tulip-based 10/100 cardbus card
 > for my Sony Vaio 505TX.  Compiling up a new kernel with cardbus in it
 > and rebooting I get:
 >
 >     cbb0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0 (Rx5C475), chipflags 2
 >      Do not use cbb0 because of intr unconfig.
 >
 > It appears that the vaio bios is not assigning an irq to the cardbus
 > bridge.  At first I thought this might be a problem with irq
 > exhaustion, so I turned off a bunch of ISA crap that I never use
 > anyway (ir-serial link, lpr port, firewire).  I figured this would
 > give the PCI 3 more irq's to share around.  Nope. No change.  Same
 > msg.

Please rebuild your kernel with the following options:

options         PCIBIOS                 # PCI BIOS support
options         PCIBIOSVERBOSE          # PCI BIOS verbose info
options         PCIBIOS_INTR_FIXUP      # fixup PCI interrupt routing
options         PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP       # fixup PCI bus numbering

(pasted from the DR-EVIL kernel config file; that's my Dell laptop)

That will route the PCI interrupts and assign subordinate bus numbers
to the CardBus bridges, and be chatty about it.

I'd like to include those unconditionally in all i386 kernels, but it
would be nice to know if it breaks any currently-working systems, first.