Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/1999 07:36:46
On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 07:00:50PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 05:31:00PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Thursday, December 16, 1999 at 08:54:44 (+1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> > > Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea
>
> I have a bit better understanding of the 'repository copy' side-issue now.
>
> When directories are copied within the repository, (including copying the
> ,v files) CVS will be confused about what versions those files exist in.
>
> If some files are in CVSROOT/a/b/c until version 1.3, and are then moved
> to CVSROOT/d/e/f before version 1.4 is made, problems occur.

[As described below in the original posting.]

And yes, NetBSD developers do this all the time. Including splitting
a file into two, retaining the original change history in both copies.

It involves removing all tags from the target copies that where not there
in the original. Possibly even marking original versions "dead" or something,
but as we don't operate on dates in NetBSD, but rather on revision tags,
we don't do that normally.

Regards,
	-is