Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1999 18:13:25
On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 07:00:50PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 05:31:00PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Thursday, December 16, 1999 at 08:54:44 (+1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> > > Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea
>
> I have a bit better understanding of the 'repository copy' side-issue now.
>
> When directories are copied within the repository, (including copying the
> ,v files) CVS will be confused about what versions those files exist in.

...if the person doing the move/copy is an idiot.

> It sounds like people prefer to do these 'copies' because it's less work,
> (up front anyway) but if the cleanup work never gets done, doesn't it
> mean that it is no longer possible to check out a clean copy of <1.3 ?

Wrong.  The *only* way to move files in a CVS-controlled source tree,
while retaining revision history, involves a careful repository copy.

The only thing you can't do after such a copy is time travel.  This
would seem to be something of a nuisance but in fact date-based
checkouts appear to basically never be used by anyone, so we have
not had a problem with it as yet in what, 7 years of the NetBSD
CVS repository.

As to moving files within the repository:

Since the NetBSD developers are not complete morons, we're "careful".
This has been done a few dozen times since the NetBSD CVS repository
was created, and the only problems have occurred when people did *not*
use the method you're decrying -- for example, I hosed the repository
once while removing vestigal Kerberos support between the 1.1 and 1.2
releases.  We have tools that Do The Right Thing now so that new
developers aren't tempted to do something idiotic like listen to Greg
and screw everything up.

> That's also more important with the availability of anonCVS, rsync of
> the repository, and (soon-ish) cvsup.

...your point being?  We haven't screwed it up yet, so why do you
presume that we will do so in the future?

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"