Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1999 19:00:50
On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 05:31:00PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, December 16, 1999 at 08:54:44 (+1100), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea

I have a bit better understanding of the 'repository copy' side-issue now.

When directories are copied within the repository, (including copying the
,v files) CVS will be confused about what versions those files exist in.

If some files are in CVSROOT/a/b/c until version 1.3, and are then moved
to CVSROOT/d/e/f before version 1.4 is made, problems occur.
Someone checking out versions prior to and including 1.3 will now either
get both CVSROOT/a/b/c, AND CVSROOT/d/e/f in their checkout (CVSROOT/d/e/f
should not exist in that version), or will get only CVSROOT/d/e/f - which
will mean that version can't be built anymore. Which situation occurs
depends on whether a cp or mv is done, and adjustments made by hand to
the ,v files.

The ,v files can be adjusted by hand, but doing so is probably more work
than just using cvs to relocate the files in the first place.

It sounds like people prefer to do these 'copies' because it's less work,
(up front anyway) but if the cleanup work never gets done, doesn't it
mean that it is no longer possible to check out a clean copy of <1.3 ?

That's also more important with the availability of anonCVS, rsync of
the repository, and (soon-ish) cvsup.

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods