Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/1999 15:13:16
[ On Monday, December 13, 1999 at 09:36:41 (-0500), Greg Hudson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: src/dist is a *bad* idea
>
> I use CVS all the time with vendor branches and local branches, to
> manage a 380MB source tree.  It works fine.  The one wart I've noticed
> is that "cvs update -j 1.2" will grab the patch against 1.1 when you
> wanted the patch against 1.1.1.n, where n was the most recent vendor
> revision before 1.2 was committed.  So I tend to specify both
> revisions (by symbolic name, hopefully) when doing a merge.

There are many more corner cases and other issues, not to mention that
conflict detection is *impossible* by design.  Just because you've not
yet encountered other problems means nothing.  This isn't the forum for
deep analysis of CVS problems -- come on over to info-cvs@gnu.org if
you'd like to discuss them further.

--
							Greg A. Woods