Subject: Re: panic: vrele: bad ref count on NetBSD/i386 1.4K
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Greg Wohletz <greg@duke.CS.UNLV.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1999 19:19:52
>I got the following panic:
>
>nfs server dahan:/usr: not responding
>nfs server dahan:/usr: is alive again
>vrele: bad ref count: type VDIR, usecount -1, writecount 0, refcount 1,
>        tag VT_UFS, ino 1059, on dev 0, 0 not locked
>panic: vrele: ref cnt
>syncing disks... 12 11 9 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 giving up
>
>on this machine:
>NetBSD sloth.metonymy.com 1.4K NetBSD 1.4K (SLOTH) #199: Wed Oct  6 03:30:29 CDT 1999     khym@dah
an.metonymy.com:/usr/src.local/sys/arch/i386/compile/SLOTH i386

I filed a PR about this panic long ago (kern/5026).  Don't know if anyone
has looked into it though.  Various core dumps/kernels are available at
http://www.egr.unlv.edu/~greg/netbsd/ if anyone is interested.

I 1st encountered this problem with 1.3 on our heavily used nfs server.  In
the end I had to install a work-around as the machine was panicing multiple
times a day.  That fileserver is still running 1.3.2 at this point but I
intend to move it to 1.4.1 over the upcomming semester break.  I was hoping
that this problem would no longer be present...

						--Greg