Subject: Re: i386 elf and libc
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1999 19:40:26
On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: >  I think that we should consider bumping all major versions of libraries
: >for a port which switches from a.out to elf. Does ELF make major versioning
: >of shared libraries easier? Will we ever get rid of the renames?

Well, we can rid a switched port of all __RENAME()s put into the library
since it was switched to ELF (...an arch-specific hack in libc/Makefile).

: Nope. But ELF does  make minor numbers meaningless.
: I'm surprised at the people who continue to bump sharedlib minor
: version numbers.  We should (collectively) know better.
: Hm, I spose it serves as some kind of documentation.

Exactly:  even if it's only visual, it does easily differentiate "older" and
"newer".

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)