Subject: Re: i386 elf and libc
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1999 13:40:36
Michael Richardson writes:

>   Well, I think we should think strongly about bumping major versions for the
> next release, and getting rid of all renames. The new libraries are not
> compatible with the old ones, regardless of whether the "featureset" has
> changed.

From this perspective, the "newest" a.out libraries aren't "compatible"
with "old" NetBSD.  e.g. I can't really use libc.12.40 instead of my
libc.so.12.5 on an older version of NetBSD.  The "features" in libc have
changed, but the features of the kernel that libc uses have also changed.
(e.g. new syscalls, etc)

Also, IIUC this shouldn't be done until *all* ports are ELF, and does
this really help ports that have been ELF since before the "rename"
business came about?

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.