Subject: Re: 3c985B ?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/1999 18:52:36
On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 12:19:34PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I was somehow under the impression there was a larger maximum size, too.
>
> At 1Gb/sec, switching or routing millions of 1.5K frames just to transfer
> one large file seems particularly idiotic.  Even most 100Mb/sec Ethernet
> cards can be configured to use FDDI-sized (4k) frames, though not all
> (few?) switches can cope with this...

In principle, GE uses the same frames as normal Ethernet. There are,
however, Jumbo Frames, which go upto 9000-and-a-bit (9014 AFAIR) bytes.
I haven't checked lately, but the problem with jumbo frames was/is that
they weren't standardized. A lot of switches can't/won't handle them,
some will, but only with certain types of cards, etc.

- Frank