Subject: Re: remote GDB of kernel
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1999 08:20:49
> IIRC, you don't want a null modem cable for gdb, as the host should be
> thought of as DTE and the other as DCE (or vice-versa). The little
> information I've seen on this is in the "gdb" info page.

umm, if you're connecting up two PC's with 9-pin serial ports, you're
connecting two DTE's to each other, so you *NEED* a null modem to
pretend that one of the DTE's is actually DCE.

I've found that when using kgdb with PC's you have to boot the target
system "-d", and it comes up into a "waitng for gdb" state; you then
do the "target remote" on the debugging host, and it immediately drops
you into a breakpoint at which you can set more breakpoints and then
continue.

					- Bill