Subject: Re: remote GDB of kernel
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1999 01:20:42
>and I have a second machine also running -current, and a null modem cable
>hooked between the machines. Is there a quick tutorial anywhere on what to
>do next? (Aside from the generalized info in the gdb info pages, that is)
>Anybody have any pointers?

I keep meaning to write a web page, but a really short tutorial would be:

- Copy the kernel to the machine where you're running gdb (the
  unstripped one with all of the symbols ... you will know which one,
  because it will be gigantic)
- Run gdb on that kernel, and set the breakpoints you're interested in.
- "boot -d" with the stripped kernel on the target machine.
- Use the "remote" command to attach to it when the machine stops (it
  prints a message during the boot process saying, "Waiting for debugger",
  or something similar).
- The rest, as they say, should be self-explanatory.

--Ken