Subject: Re: cd-rom / dvd-ram with ufs
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/05/1999 05:11:26
Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com> writes:

[non-512-byte-sector devices]

Ah.  Damn.

> this stuff will all be integrated in january sometime, after the
> 1.5 release branch is created.  (tho Bill's version might get in before
> 1.5 yet?  not sure how it's going to work out.)

Cool.  I can be patient.

> (also, I'd think that a DVD-RAM would be more of an "sd" than a "cd",
> but what do I know?)

Well, it depends on what media you put into the DVD-RAM
drive.  You want the nice features of a "cd" CDIOCPLAY*,
CDIOCREADSUBCHANNEL, CDIOCREADTOC*, CDIOCSET*, and the new
DVD_AUTH and DVD_READ_STRUCT ioctls come to mind as things
you want when an actuall CD or DVD is in the drive.

You probably want it to be a "cd" when you pop in a CD-ROM
of some nature.

When there is a DVD-RAM drive that has a disklabel on it,
you might want it to be more like "sd" than 'cd", but
it looks like only minor changes are needed to "cd" to
have it do "sd"-like things -- dev/scsipi/[cs]d.c are
pretty similar.   The obviously different stuff is in
disklabel handling (why doesn't cd.c allow you to write
a disklabel?  why does it always fake up a disklabel,
even if there's one on the disk?), the _FLUSH _DIRTY
stuff, and some of the partition handling.

        Sean.