Subject: Re: RAID suggestions
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1999 11:56:36
On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 11:40:00AM -0600, seebs@plethora.net wrote:
> In message <19991203113612.A24208@thebrain.conmicro.cx>, Jay Maynard writes:
> >That said, you'd still have to boot DOS to run an array configuration
> >utility, but executable floppy images are downloadable from Compaq's web
> >page.
> Do the images include the DOS stuff?  That's the killer with the DPT.  I don't
> *HAVE* DOS, so I can't boot a machine to DOS to run their little program.

Yes, they do. Basically, you download a Softpaq, which is one executable
file; run that under DOS or Windows, and it'll write disks that contain a
complete bootable DOS and array configuration utility.

To answer der Mouse's question, yes, you have to be able to run the DOS- or
SCO-based array configuration utility; as things stand currently, if you
have an Alpha, you have to run the ACU under x86 emulation. This makes the
system unattractive to NetBSD as a whole, but might solve Pete's problem.