Subject: Re: RAID suggestions
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/1999 11:36:12
On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 11:21:08AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> I'm trying to evaluate RAID solutions.  Here's what I've come up with
> so far:

Disclaimer: I'm working for Compaq in the Storage Products Division, but not
within 5 layers of management of someone who could speak for Compaq.

The Compaq SMART array controllers are supported under Linux; the Linux
driver could probably be ported to *BSD without a lot of work, and since
Compaq owns the driver, I believe a ported version could be relicensed
acceptably to BSD (the guy who's the official owner here is not a GPV
zealot) as long as it was made clear that Compaq wasn't going to support it.
(Right now, Compaq's rushing headlong toward Linux; they'd support BSD if
they had the resources.)

That said, you'd still have to boot DOS to run an array configuration
utility, but executable floppy images are downloadable from Compaq's web
page.