Subject: Re: getting ipnat working
To: Mike Pelley <mike.pelley@coventus.com>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@ignition.name.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1999 19:30:11
"Mike Pelley" says:
> > Despite specifying in my rc.conf that both ipfilter and
> > ipnat are "YES", I still had to use sysctl to get ipnat
> > going after rebooting.
>
> So far as I understand, the kernel options IPFORWARDING=1 and GATEWAY will
> both turn on ipforwarding (so no sysctl is required), and GATEWAY also
> increases the size of NMBCLUSTERS on most ports.  I imagine ipforwarding is
> not on by default in GENERIC because it is a bit safer to avoid forwarding

Right, and if I tell my machine I want ipfiltering and ipnat'ing by
explicitly setting them to "YES" in rc.conf, I think the system should
turn ipforwarding on (i.e. do the sysctl for me at boot time), even
though it starts out as off by default.  There is no way I can want
those two options set to "YES" in /etc/rc.conf and not also want
ipforwarding set from 0 to 1, no?

Regards,
James Wetterau