Subject: Re: netatalk routable?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1999 16:35:19
> Is it *at all* possible to upgrade from pre-ELF to ELF i386 without
> having to load a snapshot?

I haven't done it myself.  But I have done it on /sparc, and I don't
think there was anything that I would expect to be machine-dependent.

Principal warning: work in a chrooted tree!  If your experience is
anything like mine, you will have to throw out and reinstall your
chrooted tree at least half a dozen times before getting it right.

> (Conveniently, my laptop is on -current anyway, so I can just load
> stuff over.)

Well, that makes it easier...set up the chroot area, fill it from the
laptop, chroot to it, do a make build...once that's happy, boot from
it, mount your live disk, setenv DESTDIR, and "make install".  That's
more or less how I did it for the SPARC.

> Hmm.  I suppose I should ask:  Any major gotchas in -current?  I'm
> assuming that I should be wary of soft updates for now.

Personally, I'm sticking with a 1999-08-13 source tree until things
look a bit stabler than they are now. :-)  I'll be happy to give you a
copy of the tree if you want, with or without my private patches,
though I think that for /i386, that tree is a.out rather than elf.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca