Subject: Re: aic at isa broken in current?
To: None <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
From: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 11/30/1999 17:00:37
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Feico Dillema wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 03:47:40PM +0000, Julian Coleman wrote:
>> Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> Could you try a kernel without the :
>>
>>   ss*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?              # SCSI scanners
>>
>> ?  The code (based on PiNT) only supports a few models of scanner and doesn't
>> support 'userland' SCSI.  Without this, the scanner will then show up as an
>> unknown device (uk0).
>>
>> I wonder whether this line should be commented out in GENERIC kernels, now
>> that SANE is available.
>
>I'd vote for total removal from the tree. I don't believe it has
>(many) users left and it is i386 specific or at least little-endian
>specific (there are bitfields used in it). I don't think there's
>anybody willing to spend time on it in the future, and scanning
>the Net for info a year ago it seemed that PINT was quite dead too.
>So, I'd say get rid of that ugly piece of code in the NetBSD tree,
>that only seems to cause trouble for users.

Hang on a minute!  I have a Mustek scanner which uses the ss driver.
Or are you saying that SANE can also handle all the supported scanners
through the uk driver?

Roger

Roger Brooks (Systems Programmer),          |  Email: R.S.Brooks@liv.ac.uk
Computing Services Dept,                    |  Tel:   +44 151 794 4441
The University of Liverpool,                |  Fax:   +44 151 794 4442
PO Box 147, Liverpool L69 3BX, UK           |