Subject: Re: Man pages and hyphenation
To: Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
From: Brian Baird <brb@brig.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/26/1999 16:12:32
The fix for this was added to current last April and was pulled into
the 1.4 branch in August. NetBSD 1.4.1 does suffer from it, but 1.4.2
will not.  The problem is that nroff uses the value of the LC_TYPE and
LESSCHARSET env variables to decide to use -Tlatin1 for groff, which
ends up using 0xAD as a hyphenation character.  To fix it, change the
definition of NROFF in /usr/share/mk/bsd.man.mk to
	   NROFF?= nroff -Tascii
and rebuild your man pages.

> Hyphenation in the man pages seems to be broken.  Please note the
> "<AD>" in the last sentence of the second paragraph of the description.
>
> I would fix this but I am not sure where to start...

--Brian;