Subject: Re: SOFTDEP
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/25/1999 12:09:49
Jim Wise wrote:

> Just for the record, I've had SOFTDEP turned on and enabled on all
> filesystems on the laptop I am writing this from for about a week and a
> half now, including two `make builds', and extensive day-to-day use
> (this is one of my main machines).  Not only have I seen no problems
> with this, but the performance gains are very noticeable in
> filesystem-intensive tasks involving many small files (make build, for
> example).
>
> I can't speak for how typical this may be, but just wanted to throw in a
> datapoint.

I'll second this - my main development pmax has had softdep enabled
since it was announced on current-users, and I've done a couple of
"make builds" and a heck of a lot kernel compiling and haven't noticed
a single problem.  Performance-wise in general I can't comment on, but
a few contrived benchmarks like "mkdir/rmdir, touch/rm" etc were _much_
faster...

Simon.