Subject: instability under load? (soft dep with 19991124 kernel)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1999 17:55:18
I have an -i386 kernel built with sources from today's SUPSCAN which
keels over dead (reboot, but no crash dump) repeatedly under heavy
load.  Userland is a day or two old.

The load which triggers it includes "make build" while converting
a pair of .cda files with pkgsrc/audio/lame, or generating the .cda
files in the first place with pkgsrc/audio/cdd.

Also, an "rm -rf /usr/obj.i386 /usr/local/safeplace" (where the latter
is the $DESTDIR target I tend to use) while doing the lame stuff also
caused a reboot.

I have "options SOFTDEP" and the filesystems in question have soft
dependencies enabled.

"make build" seems happy when the big file writer / reader+writer processes
are not running.

	Sean.