Subject: Re: IDE Hang with SOFTDEP on arm32
To: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1999 16:54:04
On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 02:21:29PM +0000, Mike Pumford wrote:
> The system still responds to pings and I can break into the kernel debugger
> but no further disk activity occurs. When I do break into the kernel I get the
> error message:
> Non-emulated page fault with intr_depth > 0

That sounds like a problem in DDB itself, probably arm32 port specific.

> This failure occurs regardless of whether soft updates has been enabled on any
> file system or not.
> This is with current supped 19/11/1999. A kernel with SOFTDEP disabled works
> fine. Also the SOFTDEP kernel functioned correctly until the current libc was
> activated after building the userland.

If no filesystems have been setup for softupdates, the softdep code should
not get called ever. So "options SOFTDEP" won't have any effect at that
point..

Problems in the softdep code are currently being tracked down, and
thanks to the efforts of Greg Oster who could quickly reproduce problems
using raidframe, a few likely problems have been identified. I'll send
a message to this list when I think they're fixed, so that you can
try again should you have problems with the softdep code at the moment.

- Frank