Subject: Re: WARNING: softdep bug
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 11/19/1999 11:04:44
On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 02:08:01PM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> I just had a problem with softdep, after filling a filesystem the
> contents of about 2Gb of recently-written files disappeared, leaving
> me with 0-length files.  Shortly thereafter, while doing further
> testing, I had a panic.
>
> Investigations continue, in the meantime it might be a good idea to
> avoid softdep, certainly if you're likely to fill filesystems, for
> just a little while longer.

I would urge people to use it (on non-critical filesystems), so that
bugs like these are actually noticed and solved.

There are 2 problems here: the first is memory usage. I'm working on
that one. The second is the softdep code not dealing well with a
full filesystem. I need to investigate that.

So, unless your filesystem is likely to fill up, I hope people will
continue to test the code.

- Frank