Subject: Re: Panic in latest -current with fxp0
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Patrick Hartling <patrick@137.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1999 21:13:37
Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us> wrote:

} > After about a year away from NetBSD, I am returning to -current to do
} > software porting.  Today, I installed the 19991113 i386 snapshot, but the
} > GENERIC kernel does not boot because of a problem detecting the EEPROM size
} > for my onboard Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 NIC.  The panic is occuring in
} > fxp_get_info().  I have searched the recent mailing list postings for
} > "intel", "fxp", "eeprom", etc. and for heads-up messages with no luck in
} > figuring out what is wrong.  The output for the NIC just before the panic
} > is:
} >
} >     fxp0 at pci0 dev 6 function 0: Intel i82557 Ethernet, rev 1
} >     fxp0 interrupting at irq 11
} >
} > For now, I am using the GENERIC kernel from the 19990704 snapshot.  I've
} > successfully updated to sources from this morning, but the kernel still
} > will not boot.  Is there something I need to add to my custom kernel config
} > to get things working properly?
}
} Ok, this is running afoul of a recent change to attempt to get cardbus
} fxp's working (which have a different sized EEPROM).
}
} I tested a change from Johan Danielsson on what's really an 82559 on
} my laptop, but clearly that's not the same as the real thing..
}
} Johan -- you did the orignal change in PR8631.. could you track this
} down and figure out something which works for both Patrick and for
} your cardbus fxp's?
}
} Patrick: in the meantime, could you try applying the enclosed patch to
} i82557.c and rebuilding a -current kernel?

Bill,

Thanks for the quick response.  This patch does indeed allow me to boot, but
I am now getting this message:

    OUI 0x080017 model 0x0000 rev 1 at fxp0 phy 1 not configured

Trying to ifconfig the card up gives:

    ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured

I'm still refamiliarizing myself with NetBSD kernel config files, so this
could be operator error that I do not recognize yet.

 -Patrick

Patrick L. Hartling			| Research Assistant, VRAC
patrick@137.org				| 2624 Howe Hall -- (515)294-4916
http://www.137.org/patrick/		| http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/