Subject: Re: SOFTDEP options
To: None <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1999 19:13:58
   Chan Yiu Wah wrote:
   > I restart my system,  I got message like update ROOT daemon $update not
   > set properly.  What does it mean?  Is my system already softupdated or
   > not ?  Please advise.  Thanks.

   You should NOT run update daemon on system from now on (whether
   or not you are actually running softdep) - there
   is a kernel process doing the same now. The kernel process
   uses much clever algorithm to do the sync and is integrated
   with softdep so that only consistent set of dirty buffers is
   flushed to disk. Or at least that's what I understand about it,
   hopefully correctly :)

   Jaromir

Just to be clear, since stopping 'update' on systems that do not have the
kernel process would not be a good thing, what is the process name of said
kernel process??

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]