Subject: Re: softdep
To: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1999 14:01:55
On 16 Nov 1999, Michael Graff wrote:

: From my quick read of the softdep license, it seems there is no reason
: we cannot make it the default for new installations and the default in
: GENERIC kernels.
:
: All that is required is that complete source be provided.  We do
: that.  Those who cannot follow the license can disable it before
: building a kernel.

This prevents someone from taking built binaries, from
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/arch/binary/sets/, and making a commercial use/distro
of it.  Granted, everyone should be compiling their own kernels, but if we
do the switch you propose, we should consider supplying a "non-GPL
GENERIC" as well.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)