Subject: Re: IBM RS/6000 43P Model 150
To: David Brownlee <abs@mono.org>
From: David Rankin <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1999 17:18:02
Note the copy to port-macppc. Maybe they can help.

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 09:22:40PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	Are the later models RS/6000 PREP compliant?

> 	http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~aw9k-nnk/n/prep.html

No, but they are CHRP compliant, which means they have OpenFirmware on
them. Given that NetBSD/ofppc appears to be dying a slow death, the best
starting point would be NetBSD/macppc. Since the CHRP specifies a lot of
the hardware specs, I doubt it'd take a lot to get NetBSD going on a 140.

For those with RS6K machines, here's your difference:
CHRP: F50/H50, F70, 43P 140/240, 43P 150, and other newer models.

PReP: 43P 100/120/133, 6050/6070, 6015, F30, F40 (I think) and older PCI/ISA

Now, to answer Brian's question in the short form: the Powerpc REverence
Platform was supposed to be a vendor-neutral architecture where you could
have run-once, run anywhere OSes for PowerPC. It didn't work. The Common
Hardware Reference Platform at least patched some of the hardware problems and
introduced OpenFirmware. OpenFirmware is definitely one of the best
hardware/bootware ideas around right now. Makes you wish Intel would
force a move to it for the Merced chipsets...

Have fun hacking.
David

--
David W. Rankin, Jr.     Husband, Father, and UNIX Sysadmin.
   Email: drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us   Address/Phone Number: Ask me.