Subject: Re: Soft update code integrated into the main tree
To: <>
From: Todd Cohen <cohentl@clarkson.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1999 16:40:00
Ok, I've seen this mentioned many times, and I just can't figure out what
soft update is.. can someone please enlighten me? :)

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> I've brought Kirk McKusick's trickle sync + FFS soft update code into
> the main tree. It has had some moderate to heavy testing over the
> last month. I'm currently using it on the /usr filesystem and the
> filesystem containing all my sources on my main NetBSD development
> machine, and did not have a problem since I fixed the last known
> bug (2.5 weeks ago).
>
> To use it, do the following:
>
> 1. Update your sources.
> 2. Compile a new kernel with "options SOFTDEP" in your kernel config file.
> 3. Run the new kernel.
> 4. Install the new include files from sys/sys (i.e. at least do
>    cd /usr/src/sys ; make includes). To be safe, just install them all
>    (cd /usr/src ; make includes)
> 5. At least recompile libc, sbin/mount, sbin/fsck_ffs, sbin/tunefs, and
>    install them.
> 6. Run "tunefs -n enable /dev/rXd0x" to enable soft updates on the
>    filesystem(s) of your choice.
> 7. Remove "update=YES" from your /etc/rc.conf file. update(8) is no longer
>    needed. Its work is now done in a more sophisticated way by a kernel
>    thread.
> 8. Reboot
> 9. Have fun testing.
>
> If you have any problems, please send PRs, or mail me, with as much
> detail as you can gather. Again, I haven't had any problem for a
> while now, and am running it on critical filesystems.
>
> - Frank

http://www.clarkson.edu/~cohentl
"You can use divine intervention to solve the problem if you need to."
- Coleman, 1998
"Sometimes crazy things happen in circuits." - Muku, 1999