Subject: Sparc IPX: savecore: reboot after panic: alignment fault
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/1999 02:51:58
My $150 swap-meet Sparc IPX, which has performed flawlessly for the months
since I got it, just coredumped while building yet another new userland
to go with yet another new kernel. Sources were checked out with
-D "1999-11-10 12:00" from an rsync'd copy of the anoncvs repository.

According to the log, it died in make build while linting libc.

savecore: reboot after panic: alignment fault
savecore: system went down at Fri Nov 12 03:35:17 1999
savecore: /var/crash/bounds: No such file or directory
Nov 12 03:38:45 threepio savecore: reboot after panic: alignment fault
savecore: writing core to /var/crash/netbsd.0.core
savecore: writing kernel to /var/crash/netbsd.0

I tried a couple things with gdb but didn't get very far, as I've never
used gdb on a kernel before. Can somebody point me to a faq or rattle it off
from memory what I should do to get a stack trace out of the crash dump?

Also, there's the immortal question: anyone else encounter this recently?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com