Subject: Re: Booting into X from CD-ROM
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1999 17:36:20
On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 11:44:01AM +0100, Markus Illenseer wrote:

>  Is there any development in place to create a bootable (for PC) CD-ROM
> which starts X (as an option perhaps)?
>
>  If not, what would be the most feasible way to create such a beast? And
> which options are requiered in the Kernel to create a RAM-Disk which is
> accessable as /tmp during startup?

For this I would keep the boot floppy image with the ramdisk. This way you
have a R/W /, which should be large enouth.
Then I would put a /usr on the CD. Once booted you can mount the cd,
remove /usr and put a link from the rigth place to /usr
For this you may want to build a custom boot floppy image without sysinst to
save some place on the ramdisk, add a XF86Config, change the startup script,
etc ...

     {Net,Free}BSD: 22 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference