Subject: Re: ppp woes continued
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@spacestar.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1999 09:36:00
PICT's are available in the System Folder:Extensins:Apple Modem Tool
Use ResEdit to copy them.

From Apple TIL ( I lost the number)
The two serial ports used on Macintosh computers since the Macintosh
Plus are
       RS-422 mini-circular 8 pin connectors:
       Pin Signal
       1 - HSKo (Data Terminal Ready)
       2 - HSKi (Clear To Send)
       3 - TxD- (Transmit Data -)
       4 - GND (Ground)
       5 - RxD- (Receive Data -)
       6 - TxD+ (Transmit Data +)
       7 - GPi (General-Purpose input); connected to SCC Data Carrier
       		 Detect (or to Receive/Transmit Clock if the VIA1 SYNC signal
       		 is high). Not connected on the Macintosh Plus, Classic,
       		 Classic II, LC, LC II, or IIsi.
       8 - RxD+ (Receive Data +)  The space is between pin 4 and 5

The following are the GeoPort Telecom Adapter Mini-DIN 9 pin assignments:
 (where they differ from Mini-DIN 8 pin )
Standard GeoPort   DMA GeoPort       Non-DMA
      Definition    Definition    Definition
       1  HSK(0) POD RESET/ATT POD RESET/ATT
       7  GPi(A)   WAKEUP/TxHS        Unused
       9  +5 VDC      DC Power      DC Power

TOPIC
       What are the pinouts for the mini circular 8 serial ports on the
Macintosh
       Plus and later?
DISCUSSION
       The two serial ports used on Macintosh computers since the Macintosh
Plus are
       RS-422 mini-circular 8 pin connectors:
       Pin Signal
       1 - HSKo (Data Terminal Ready)
       2 - HSKi (Clear To Send)
       3 - TxD- (Transmit Data -)
       4 - GND (Ground)
       5 - RxD- (Receive Data -)
       6 - TxD+ (Transmit Data +)
       7 - GPi (General-Purpose input); connected to SCC Data Carrier
       Detect (or to Receive/Transmit Clock if the VIA1 SYNC signal
       is high). Not connected on the Macintosh Plus, Classic,
       Classic II, LC, LC II, or IIsi.
       8 - RxD+ (Receive Data +)
       Looking at the end of a MALE mini-circular connector, the pins are:
       6 7 8                       6 7 8
       3 4 5 The space is          3 4 9 5
        1 2  between pin 4 and 5    1 2
-------------------------------
The following are the GeoPort Telecom Adapter Mini-DIN 9 pin assignments:

Pin # Standard GeoPort DMA GeoPort Non-DMA
Definition Definition Definition

1 HSK(0) POD RESET/ATT POD RESET/ATT
2 HSK(I) SCLK(I) SCLK(I)
3 TxDa- TxDa- TxDa-
4 SHIELD_GND GND_return GND_return
5 RxDa- RxDa- RxDa-
6 TxDa+ TxDa+ TxDa+
7 GPi(A) WAKEUP/TxHS Unused
8 RxDa+ RxDa+ RxDa+
9 +5 VDC DC Power DC Power (If available)

Support Information Services

On Sun, Nov 7, 1999 1:29 AM, Space Case <mailto:wormey@eskimo.com> wrote:

>This is the same setup that worked for years for me on my Centris 610,
>before I got the cable modem and the Quadra 650.  I'm starting to think
>that maybe my modem cable isn't doing the right thing (either the needs
>of the hardware has changed or I somehow grabbed the printer cable by
>mistake).  Does anyone have the pinout for what the current cable needs
>to be?
>
>Thanks,
>~Steve

  " Stamp out root login's .  .  .  . su "
    --Bruce Anderson Student DCTC