Subject: Re: FreeBSD FibreChannel support
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/04/1999 17:48:36
On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:21:18 -0800 (PST)
>  Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
>
>  > > ...especially considering that a fair number of previously happy
>  > > Qlogic ISP users now have completely useless boards.
>  >
>  > No, that's not correct either. Here's an editted copy of what I sent to
>
> Well, it is.  At least some AlphaStation 500 owners have reported
> previously (i.e. before you changed the driver to always upload
> the firmware!) that the ISP driver did NOT work with the version of
> the firmware flashed into the board.

Any send-prs?  Did you send me any mail about it now, or did you sit on
this information just to deliver it a week later? Oh well, nil
importe'....

>  > + By the same token, I have never done much testing *w/o* loading f/w.
>  > We'll have to see what transpires.
>
> Well, my AlphaStation 500 didn't work.  I went back to using a previous
> version of the driver I had in another source tree.

Hmm. Interesting. My AlphaStation 500/600 worked fine. So did all the
machines I tried this with the exception of the machine with a Qlogic
board that *has* no f/w (blew it's brains out a year ago). Well, whaddya
know.... Well, it'll all be fixed again. But I do plan to leave the f/w
off by default from now on to save space, so if people want things to
work, please submit reasonable reports (email finds me, y'all know
where) as to why it's not working instead of making it top secret.

-matt